Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Anniversary

Today is my anniversary. Twelve years ago today, the bottom dropped out and my world flipped upside down.

When the doctor came into the exam room and told me I had to go to the hospital or I would be dead within a week, I was shocked. As a 17 year old, you don't expect to hear that. I knew I was sick, I just didn't know I was that sick. It scared me. It had been a miserable couple of months, and that day was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back."

I ended up spending a week in the hospital - undergoing tests, having blood drawn, IVs stuck in me constantly, and a blood transfusion as well. But in the midst of all the misery, God still showed Himself strong on my behalf. There were a couple of times when something, seemingly small, happened or was said that showed me God had not abandoned me. After that, when I struggled with depression, He still never gave up or left me. He was always there for me.

I have made plenty of mistakes since then that I seriously regret. He has proved time and time again that He will never give up on me, even if I give up on myself. He has proved His love for me. He has forgiven me for all of those mistakes and has renewed my hope for the future.

Without Him, I would not be here today. So today is my anniversary...not for the bad things that happened, but for the good that has come out of them.

No comments: